You know, the procedure (the C word: colonoscopy) wasn't a memorable experience (because you don't remember anything once they start with the drugs in the procedure room). The night before is what I remember: they say to make sure you drink this nasty stuff cold. I found room temperature to be much easier to drink down and it when I said some sort of exclamation of disgust after every drink. Evenso, I was able to get my rest during the night (that's important you know) even after drinking gallons of awful drink.
The day of the procedure was uneventful and afterwards was too. The only thing I did that was halfway funny was when I told Bruce, "Don't take my Diet Coke" when he had given me one. I do remember telling the surgeon and nurses that I may not respond to Susan, if they were trying to wake me up. That's because I have always gone by my middle name but all my medical records and other official records are with my first name, Susan.
Other than that, I was coherent and remember everything after waking up in recovery, although I did go in and out of a nap on the way home. Work the next day was possible (slept a little late though: I don't really need any excuse to do that but I used one!). Eating the first meal made me a little gun shy for other foods so I took it easy with chicken soup for a day.
Here's my advice to anyone over 50 who has not had a colonoscopy: Just Do It.
If you haven't had the procedure done and you are over 50: Shame on you.
No comments:
Post a Comment